Friday, November 4, 2011

Introductions Are In Order!

This is my cartoon representation:
midst the throes of writing, that is.

To kick off this blog, I'd like to take a moment and share a little about myself and to say what I hope this web-comic will become.

My name is Ulysses and I'm a recently out transman. Pre-everything, hairs on end, fingers crossed! In a nutshell: I'm an aspiring writer, a highly caffeinated night owl, and arguably a hermit. My coffee's so strong you could stand a spoon in it and I fight more with my fictional characters than actual people. With writing, working as a part-time secretary, and being a hobbyist cartoonist in my free time, I spend most days at a desk.
Otherwise I study psychology for future hopes of making a career as a psychiatrist.

The title of this blog, "Strapped To The Mast", is a reference to the Odyssey. This will be my second web-comic blog. The first one I started, and will continue to update, is quite similar to this one in the way that my inspiration and stories are true to my own life. However, as personal as that other web-comic is, I feel my new journey deserves its own nook. For a long time I have wanted to dedicate strips to this part of my life, and now that I am out to friends and family I have no reason to wait.

I hope this web-comic to be many things. Catharsis for myself: instead of journaling my thoughts and experiences, drawing them. Celebrating the journey: instead of clamming up, letting out. Balancing the act: taking a dose of seriousness with a wash of lightheartedness.

Yet as many reasons I'm doing this for myself, my biggest hope is that it will reach out to others. Friends, family, allies, supporters and individuals of the community I now call my own: the ever-inspiring and awesomely brave 'T' in 'LGBT'.

Before I end my overly sentimental ramblings, I would like to add another mushy thought. Thanks, to my friends and family, who have been there for me from the beginning and will undoubtedly be there until the end. This web-comic is for all of you, too.
Sailing away- Ulysses

No comments:

Post a Comment